Monday, December 28, 2009

Wow! Bell's Amber Ale

I was planning on being lazy tonight and not reviewing this one until a later time, but I can't help myself, nor can I hold back from saying "Wow!" in the title.


At least let me be lazy tonight when it comes to the picture :(

Bell's Amber Ale is unquestionably amber colored, with sweet malts that show in the taste and smell.  I smell quality hops as well.  What I really enjoy about this beer is the obvious lack of filtration.  One look in your mug or pint glass and you'll see the aftereffects of mashing hops and barley;  the little guys that find their way through a strainer, and into a carboy for the joy of fermentation.

I got about a quarter to half-inch thick head that seems to be planning to stick around for good, or at least until I'm through with the beer.  The bottle shows the ABV as 5.8%; not too bad, definitely sessionable.  There's a little over a hint of an alcoholic taste coming through, nothing to fuss about.  The body is a solid medium, appropriate to the degree of sweet malts.  Every bar in the country should have this brew available.  I really stand behind this beer, not just in defense of microbreweries and the culture of better beer, but for the fact that it is extremely drinkable, and could definitely be appreciated by the most close-minded, light beer aficionado.  Bell's Amber Ale should serve as the gateway brew to better beer for the lowest common denominator of beer drinkers.

No comments:

Post a Comment