Saturday, December 26, 2009

An Uneducated Review: Harpoon's Hefeweizen, UFO

I pulled it off!  This is the first Hefeweizen brew I've ever poured, and I did so with the right glass, a weizen.  To top it off I had a perfect pour, utilizing the method of turning the glass on top of the bottle, flipping the position, and slowly, but surely, letting the brew slide out of the bottle and into the glass.  I finished with the swirling of the last bit from the bottle and then proceeded to dump it on to the head.  Just like a pro!



A late picture is better than no picture.  I had to enjoy it a little before I took one!

I am unfortunately lost for an elaborative description, but I love this beer!  I'm extremely uneducated when it comes to Hefeweizen's, so here's what BeerAdvocate.com describes the style as:

"A south German style of wheat beer (weissbier) made with a typical ratio of 50:50, or even higher, wheat. A yeast that produces a unique phenolic flavors of banana and cloves with an often dry and tart edge, some spiciness, bubblegum or notes of apples. Little hop bitterness, and a moderate level of alcohol. The "Hefe" prefix means "with yeast", hence the beers unfiltered and cloudy appearance. Poured into a traditional Weizen glass, the Hefeweizen can be one sexy looking beer."

Okay, so the beer definitely has a cloudiness to it, something commonplace in wheat beers.  There is also a dryness to this beer that one should notice.

I really enjoy the body of this beer, somewhere around light-medium.  A bite is almost non-existent, just a slight tingle on the tongue and your through with that aspect.  The color is like a cloudy-pilsner, maybe a little more yellow.

The head retention is really good, constantly offering a fluffy foam that fails to ever remove itself.  The lacing is remarkable, like airplane trails in the sky.  Maybe I did better than I had anticipated when describing this beer, all I know is that it is an outstanding style of brew if Harpoon expressed its intended qualities.  Having another is the only way to find out, and in the meantime, maybe I should do some more reading.  Until next time, Cheers from The Light on Beer!

No comments:

Post a Comment