Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Light on Beer...

Welcome to my blog, "The Light on Beer."  As one who appreciates a variety of beers brewed all over the planet, I feel it is time for me to share my thoughts and opinions on one my most cherished pleasures: drinking beer.

Now, I'm sure some of you reading are thinking, "this guy is a drunk, cool!"  I'm sorry to upset you, but that is not the case.  Like a lot of folks, I do often drink past my limit, something I regret every time, but this blog and my admiration is aimed toward the quality of beers across the globe, the distinctness of different styles, and the subtle variations in the taste of beer that pull one from being categorized alongside another.  I'm not a snob.  I'm just a person who truly appreciates beer, beyond the effects it has on one's short-term judgment, and I don't think having one beer is a waste of calories, as a good friend of mine likes to suggest.  This is a blog for beer, combined with the hope that you'll give something other than a light, golden American Lager a try.  In other words, something outside of the lowest common denominator.

I'm not a machine, nor is this the only blog I run.  I also write about socio-politics in a blog called "Right Guy, Wrong Town"  (http://rightguywrongtown.blogspot.com).  I'm telling you this because I don't want you to expect me to be capable of providing a daily post (I don't drink every day, sorry).  I'm merely going to shine the light on quality beer, usually a brew I've tried out for the first time, or have indulged in again in the last few days.  But, if you're looking for a large concensus on a certain brew, and are interested in reading about beers you'll probably have a lot of trouble finding available at your local distributor, I suggest you check out Beer Advocate (http://www.beeradvocate.com).  It is an outstanding source for beer info, ranging from the alcohol content of a particular beer, to the subtle qualities described by articulate language.  I truly support the guys behind that website.  Still, if you're just looking to read about one guy's discoveries in the world of beer a few times a week, then I'll really be encouraged by the traffic you add to this blog because I plan to stick to it, and drink a few along the way.  Here's to you, and here's to beer (raising my air mug)!

No comments:

Post a Comment