Sunday, December 27, 2009

Mad Anthony: An Italian Tale

In the Shadyside of Pittsburgh, PA sits a medium-sized bar and restaurant called Bites & Brews.  My wife's brother used to work there, serving up hot panini sandwiches, and from what I hear, he also was slanging some pretty good pizza pies.

The place had a nice atmosphere.  I haven't been there in 3 years, but what I do remember is the extensive array of beers on tap and bottle.  Bites & Brews is the place where I tried Troegs version of a stout, something I couldn't finish because I was already 5-6 beers in on somebody's India Pale Ale (nothing against Troegs stout, it was very good).

For a few months, I spent a lot of time at Bites & Brews with my brother, Dylan, and a mutual friend, Anthony.  All three of us were on a micro-brew kick since our recent trip to New York, where we all had a great time visiting family and discovering the world of better beer.  If I remember correctly, I was probably driving into Pittsburgh from California, PA once a week, usually late in the week, nearing the weekend.

The times I couldn't make it out were still involving Dylan and Anthony spending bucks and throwing back beers at Bites & Brews.  After a few nights without me, Dylan shared a tale that makes me laugh to this day.

Anthony, our mutual friend that was, at the time, attending the University of Pittsburgh, had recently grown a liking toward a bottled brew called "Mad Anthony's APA (American Pale Ale from Erie Brewing Company, Erie, PA)."  He was obviously intrigued by the name, and probably found dark comedy in the fact that he shared the mood included in the title.

Bottle after bottle, Anthony savored a case in 3-4 nights.  The slot in the fridge was looking popular as the beer was disappearing.  Mad Anthony's APA was a hit!  Or was it?


Not mine.  I got it from Energyproductions.com.  Please, please, please don't get "mad!" 

After a few conversations with the bartender, Dylan discovered that our friend, Anthony, was the only one buying Mad Anthony's APA, and the only reason they kept in stock.  The myth of it's popularity was exposed, but it didn't make Anthony any bit madder, or maybe we just couldn't notice a difference.

Recently, after seeing the brew at the Beer Store, and then seeing singles of it at my local six-pack shop, I decided to pick one up for nostalgic purposes.  I ran up the stairs and evidently shook it up a little because as soon as I popped the bottle the brew started spewing out like it was "mad."

I poured Mad Anthony's APA into my 18-19 oz mug (Yeah, I measured and that's what I came up with) and got a solid head.  The brew is a nice cloudy amber.  The taste is pretty good.  Cloaked hops with minimal bitterness.  A good hoppy smell, very healthy lacing, and a medium body.  There's not much more that I can say.  Bottom line, I approve.  Have one yourself, hell, have another!  You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment