Monday, January 4, 2010

Bell's Christmas Ale: I'm Feeling Ambivalent

This review was originally posted @ BeerAdvocate.com:



This beer reminds me of Great Divide's Hibernation Ale, which I bought a case of for the Christmas holiday. Compared to Hibernation Ale, it is a lot drier, with less sweet raisin flavor. Bell's Christmas is dry with a taste that is sort of thick, between a porter and a stout.  Solid head retention, with a nice nougat-colored foam.  A lot of roasted coffee notes.  The smell and look of the beer are both pretty remarkable elements.  I like it, but I don't know if I could have more than a few. I'm not sure what the ABV is (I'm going to check afterward), but considering how I felt after having one at McGrogan's (Canonsburg, PA), I'd say it's sitting at 6% or higher (maybe I'm off, they serve 20 oz glasses - practically two beers).

Definitely worth a try, but definitely a strong one to finish. A Christmas treat for sure, but I'm not exactly in love with it.

Serving type: on-tap

Update: BeerAdvocate.com shows Bell's Christmas Ale residing @ 5.4%

No comments:

Post a Comment