Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Terrapin: Ryle Pale Ale

I was at a bar called the Castle Tavern when I first saw a beer from Terrapin.  It was only a few months ago, the beer was on tap, and it tasted like it was brewed with grapefruit and a lot of hops.  Long story short, I really liked the beer, although I can't remember which brew from Terrapin it was.



I picked up Terrapin's Rye Pale Ale at GunTown Beer just yesterday.  Into my nonic pint glass (english pub pint glass) the beer went, threatening to never reveal a foamy top.  At the end of the pour a tiny, thin as string foam came up, if only to offer a rim.

I like the look: cloudy amber color; pretty much what I would assume a honey mead beverage to look like (I still haven't had the pleasure of seeing one for myself).

I like the smell: a little aromatic hoppiness, a little sweet malt, a little roasted malt, maybe even some raisin.

The taste is balanced: a good level of bitterness, hops, and malts to round out the body.

The top of the beer has begun to be a bit more active and less tepid than the initial impression.  Not even halfway through the 12 oz portion, head retention is showing some guts relative to it's condition, and a little lacing has entered the building.  This beer looks to be unfiltered, too, which is a big plus in my opinion.

Terrapin's Rye Pale Ale: if you see it, try it out.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment