Monday, January 18, 2010

Leinenkugel's 1888 Bock

I was in my local 6-pack shop looking for randoms to pick up when I saw this:  Leinenkugel's 1888 Bock.  I'm a fan of Leinenkugel Brewery (Jacob Leinenkugel Brewery to be exact).  Based out of Chippewa Falls, WI, the only beers of theirs that I'm either opposed to drinking or haven't thought were that great were Berry Weiss & Classic Amber.  Berry Weiss is close to wine in sweetness/intensity, and Classic Amber is earthy and unflattering.  But try them both and decide for yourself.



Today was the first day I've ever seen 1888 Bock.  The beer is dark brown, maybe mahogany.  Lacing does not exist in this beer's world.  As you can see in the picture, a healthy head establishes itself at first, but it turns out only to be a card carrying bluff.  There is a rim of foam after a few minutes, but it's quality is similar to that of a settling soda.

The smell emits sweet malts, a little alcohol, and an oak barrel.  The taste is about the same, with sweet malts coming out the most, but balanced with an alcohol bite.  I would assume the bite is also derived from hops, but I can't really distinguish hops from alcohol in this beer.  Bitterness is present, but nothing overwhelming.  If you like bocks you shouldn't be disappointed or taken aback.  It goes down nicely without a fuss, and the body is a standard medium.

I'm happy to say that this is another Leinenkugel brew that I approve of.

Side Note: I bought this beer for 98 cents.  It had acquired the cardboard box dust around the shoulders of the bottle, a condition that always makes me question whether my purchase will be satisfying or just plain disappointing.  I'd have to say that although this one example doesn't prove anything 100%, dust on the bottle doesn't necessarily mean the beer has been sitting around too long for it to be consumed.

No comments:

Post a Comment