Monday, July 19, 2010

Sam Adams: Overpriced?

Let me state first that I'm a big fan of Boston Beer Co's Sam Adams brews. Its flagship, Boston Lager, was one of the first craft beers I ever experienced. I credit the brewery as one of the few breweries that truly got me into beer.

But it has come to my mind that Boston Beer Co is pretty big at this point, granted, not as big as the Big 3, but it is the largest American-owned brewery. In my region, southwestern PA, a case for any of the premium Sam Adams brews run around $30-32/case out the door.

Anyone that has taken a college economics course has heard the term, "economies of scale." With the lessons taught by our knowledgeable economics professors in mind, couldn't one argue that it is about time that Sam Adams removes itself from the price class of smaller micros like Sierra Nevada & Great Lakes and fit itself appropriately in the price class of an imported light beer like Amstel Light (around $25-27/case)?

No comments:

Post a Comment