Friday, July 30, 2010

IC Light: What a Delight?

Out of a bottle, I've thought for a year or so now that this beer isn't half bad.  But being the beer aficionado that I am, I have to judge it properly, and pour from the bottle into my Czech pilsner glass to allow its true character to come out, instead of letting it hide behind a perception veil that so many beers have managed to wrangle & exploit through intense marketing of poor beer etiquette.  What I'm trying to say is: pour all beer in a glass.

The brew is yellow-gold.  Like yellow liquid water coloring.  The half-inch head that I was able to get out of the bottle quickly disappeared and left me with a sad rim.  A steady flow of carbonation bubbles is rising to the top, but not at an intense pace.

Corn husk in the nose.  Very dry grains.  A mildly sweet undertone.  Not one note of finishing hops.  Could it be single-hopped?  I am catching a scent of hop aroma, but it is so faint I can only imagine it is a remnant of the hops tossed in for the full boil (bittering hops).

Grainy, dry, hay-like flavor in the taste.  A good level of bittering hops.  Light & thin in the mouth.  Dry to the tongue.  Very lackluster in the malts section.  I know this a light beer, but a touch of character wouldn't hurt this brew at all.  Not a lot of flavor, so I'd say it has kept to style.

Pretty easy to drink, but I always counter that factor--which is evidently so important to the average beer drinker--with what is, in my opinion, more important: whether or not I actually want to drink it.

No comments:

Post a Comment