Thursday, July 14, 2011

Witbiers and Cow Piss

I can still remember when I first had Blue Moon. Or at least I think I can. If I recall correctly, I was visiting relatives in Queens, NY with my brother and a few of our friends. Our cousin Carla took us to Bell Blvd, a quieter yet still happening area just ten minutes from our aunt's house. We could hop to a few different bars without having to drive or fight our way through big crowds.

There she was. A glowing sign that said "Blue Moon." Also on tap, eh? Probably the best beer I had yet. Then there was Sam Adams Boston Lager, although I didn't truly understand it's brilliance at first sip, or even first pint. That's another story.

From what I've gathered about my generation, Blue Moon was a branch-out beer for a lot of people . It's still decent to me today, but I've grown beyond it. As usual, it's better on-tap than out the bottle (note: Coors has started canning Blue Moon but I've yet to try it. I don't mean to complain, but they've hardly offered a price incentive).

Despite my distant relationship with Blue Moon nowadays, I'm reminded of a funny story involving my father and my insistence that he "give it a try." My Blue Moon craze was fresh at the time. I must have had a six-pack of the stuff in the fridge, and I think it was a Saturday afternoon.

"Want to try a Blue Moon, Dad?" I asked invitingly. "No, thanks," my dad politely replied. "You sure? It's good stuff. It's a wheat beer," I urged further as if that was going to change the mind of a man who hadn't switched up the brand of beer in the fridge since before I started noticing the poison stickers on potentially toxic household items. To my surprise, "Okay, just a little." So I poured 3-4 ozs of a cloudy amber-orange Blue Moon in a 6 oz juice glass for my old man.

"Tastes like cow piss."

I still like yuh Blue Moon, even if you're a bit of a farce.

Drinking: Long Trail Belgian White. A cloudy golden-yellow face with a pleasant orange peel aroma. The wheat pushes a nice dryness to the beer while the hops add to the feel and flavor. Citrusy, yet not over the top. Belgian yeast adding that trademark spiciness. Tasty and refreshing. Certainly a solid offering from Long Trail.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment