Monday, July 25, 2011

Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter

I've been putting this brew off for far too long, but enjoyed myself in the process, imbibing dozens of other great beers (and some sub-par ones along the way). I'm letting it sit out a little (it's been 10 mins). Like many of the English styles, a traditional porter is best served at around 50-55 degrees F.

I'm staring at a 550 ml bottle that I bought at my local mammoth grocery store for $3.99 out the door. The neck is wrapped in fancy gold foil. The bottle is fancy as well with the brewery name embossed above the stomach, say the chest of the bottle. It's been 20 minutes. This beer is calling me...

Almost pitch black with translucent mahogany-brown shades near the bottom. A cola-beige head sits atop, fluffy and incredible. Smells of deeply rich malts, dark chocolate, prunes, figs, burnt brown sugar,  moist raw cane sugar, and butter (baby). LATE ADDITION UPDATE: as it warms, a friendly boozy note.

Taste is so approachable it makes me want to ask every bartender in town to serve this on-tap. Who am I kidding? Back to reality (and oh my am I enjoying it)...bittering hops afloat a hefty dark malt bill. Creamy, but more than enough hops to shake things up; I'd say the ideal amount.

The body is medium to heavy or somewhere between an early Roy Jones, Jr. and a Larry Holmes in his prime (my pops will like that one, that is if he reads this blog).

I'm relishing the fact that I've still got another 8 ozs or so left to enjoy. I need time alone with this one. Cheers!

Notes: this one is reminiscent of Guinness Extra Stout, and that is certainly a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment