Thursday, May 27, 2010

MillerCoors Owns Leinenkugel

So I went to a distributor last evening for a 30-pack of Genesee Cream Ale (I'm going on a cheap binge to drive me toward splurging on something delicious), and there were Miller girls offering tastings. I immediately was offered a tasting outside of the cooler by the Miller girls and I asked what they had. "Miller Chill, MGD 64, and Sunset Wheat." I said that I had all of those except for MGD 64, but that I wasn't interested in MGD 64 because it is too light. I then went to pay for my 30 pack. The lady at the counter said to get another case because the one I brought up was ripped. I did, and as I walked out of the cooler for the second time it struck me. I asked one of the girls, "Does Miller own Leinenkugel now?" She responded "Yes, it's a Miller product."

!!!! How long has this been a fact? It makes me wonder now about whether or not back in 2006--when I first had Sunset Wheat and first had anything from Leinenkugel--the brewery was self standing. All in all, I wanted to vomit right there on the tasting table.

I don't want to give the wrong idea - I'm not just out to boycott anything put out by Miller - I'm not that insane. I just don't want to see more and more of good to great craft breweries get bought out by the BMC vacuum. I want to see real competition on the market. I don't want to see brands that one giant corporation owns competing amongst each other. I'm a competitionist, not a capitalist. That's all I'm saying...

No comments:

Post a Comment