Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Tripel: Weyerbacher's Merry Monks' Ale

I've seen Weyerbacher brews prior to picking this one up.  In fact, I've used their empty 4-packs to carry out a variety of singles on more than one occasion.  Late last week, I finally decided to give them a shot.


I went with their brew, Merry monks' Ale  (about $2.04 a single).  It sits at 9.3% ABV.

A nice yellow-golden look with a healthy head and fairly decent lacing that falls back in the pool after a few seconds.  I smell an enormous amount of yeast, some alcohol, and ripe banana.

The taste is yeasty; definitely alcohol chords coming through due to the high content, and easily some fresh bananas.

A nice medium body, with a bitter mouth feel that surprisingly isn't too over the top.  For 9.3% ABV, Weyerbacher has pulled it off by offering up a great tasting brew--which reminds me of Franziskaner's Weissbier (but much stronger)--that at least matches, if not out does, the high level of alcohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment