Friday, February 7, 2020

Dogfish Head Bitches Brew

2/7/20

A 1 pint, 9.4 fl oz champagne style bottle, gifted to me by my brother-in-law on Christmas 2016! I put off drinking this year after year, winter after winter, and it went from one fridge to another. My hesitancy was due to my reluctance to commit to a 9% beer that amounts to over 2 high gravity brews, but I guess that's a part of the experience. As much as I now enjoy low gravity beer, it's a good thing to indulge in this type every now and then.

As for the experience: big chewy malt in the nose. Raisins, currants and almond milk. Dark nougat head with a pitch black body as expected. A little boozy up front, then spicy hops and bread crust with a dark, dry, malty finish. Heavier body, but fits the style. Sipping on this one!

As I sip, and as it warms, it's a deeply intense, chocolate and port-wine-flavored beer.

It's fitting.

Today marked the first real snow day of 2020 in southwestern Pennsylvania. I dragged my daughter on a sled through the snow a half dozen times, up and down our backyard slope, racing through the cold air in heavy boots, and this is just type of delicious and intoxicating unwinding I needed.

This one brought me back a decade in terms of the experience of searching out the aromas, flavors and feel. I can almost see myself in my brown recliner, stretching out with something special after an evening visit to Guntown Beer. I swear I smell a little Shelter Pale Ale in here. Well done Dogfish!


No comments:

Post a Comment