Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Guinness Extra Stout for St. Patrick's Day

I'm normally not one for tradition, but I picked up a 24 oz bottle of Guinness Extra Stout today in honor of St. Patrick's Day.



Guinness Extra Stout is not the Guinness usually seen at bars all over the U.S.  The stuff myself and everyone else is used to seeing is Guinness Draught, and from what I've read, the Extra Stout is a lighter brew.

I've also read that the Extra Stout is what used to be Guinness' porter up until the end of the 18th century.  According to Todd Alstrom of BeerAdvocate.com, "This is the real Guinness, in my opinion. Known and labeled as their "Original," and actually, originally, their Porter product during the 1700's (becoming their Stout in 1799). An exceptional Stout! The 60/40 nitro-injected stuff you get at the pub today is fairly new to this world (1961) -- it hardly stands up to this brew."

I haven't had a Guinness Draft in a few years, but I can definitely remember enough about its quality to recognize the body difference between the Draught & the Extra Stout.  This brew really does look and taste more like a porter.  There's an unmistakable bitterness that reminds me of Yuengling Porter, but I think Guinness' Extra Stout has a remarkably cleaner finish.

Happy St Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment